It seems as though oils have totally taken over the beauty industry in recent years. Every time you turn around, there's a new oil on the scene. Argan, coconut, olive, macadamia and tea tree to name a few... there are just so many options out there to choose from. Because of that fact, it can be quite overwhelming when trying to decide what oil is right for your beauty needs. Here are a few facts and tips to help you:
- Coconut Oil: This one is my personal favorite. I use it as a body oil, hair serum and sometimes to remove my makeup. Coconut oil provides deep moisturization to the skin, strengthens underlying skin tissues, promotes cellular turnover and protects against heat damage when used as a hair serum. When purchasing your coconut oil, make sure the label says "extra virgin" and preferably, "organic". This stuff is basically a miracle worker. Get some. Now. Coconut oil to try: Efa Gold Pure Extra Virgin Organic Coconut Oil.
- Argan Oil: Referred to as "the liquid gold of Morocco", Argan oil is extracted from the nut of the Argan tree, which only grows in the Moroccan desert. This oil is loaded with high concentrations of vitamin E and essential fatty acids. It's conditioning, healing and repairing properties are amazing for skin, hair and nails. Beware of cheap versions, as pure Argan oil is rare and expensive. Cheaper brands may have added fillers, making them less effective. Argan oil to try: Josie Maran 100% Pure Argan Oil.
- Olive Oil: Yes, the stuff that you cook with. I bet you didn't know that olive oil has great hydrating and anti aging properties. Perfect for nourishing VERY dry skin. Make sure the label on your bottle of olive oil says "first cold press" and try some as a hot oil treatment in your hair or as a body oil. Olive oil to try: SheaMoisture Baby Olive and Marula Head to Toe Lotion.
- Tea Tree Oil: Tea tree oil has awesome antiseptic properties. Studies have shown that tea tree oil is just as effective as 5% benzoyl peroxide in the treatment of acne. Dermatologists recommend tea tree oil as a natural, gentler alternative to harsher acne medications. Tea Tree oil to try: 100% Pure Australian Tea Tree Oil by Desert Essence.
- Oil Cleansing Method: In addition to oils becoming the new craze of the beauty industry, the oil cleansing method has become quite popular as well. The thought of washing your face with oil may not very appealing but the oil cleansing method has proven to be an oddly effective way of facial cleansing. The basic concept of oil cleansing is that you are dissolving, gross, dirty oils from your face and replenishing it with clean, nourishing oil. No harsh chemicals, No stripping your skin of it's natural oils, no overcleansing. Oil Cleanser to try: Whipped Goods Oil Cleanser.
This is just the tip of the oil iceberg. There are so many other oils out there for you to choose from. As with any new product you're considering, research it first to see if will be right for your skincare needs. Hope this helps!!